blog

Friday, April 18, 2008

Songkran

According to wikipedia,

The Thai New Year (Thai: สงกรานต์ Songkran) is celebrated every year on 13 April to 15 April. It is also celebrated in Laos (called pi mai lao or 'Lao New Year' in Lao), Cambodia, Myanmar (where it is called Thingyan), and by the Dai people in Yunnan, China. Sri Lanka also celebrates a similar festival called Sinhalese and Tamil New Year on the same dates. The same date is celebrated widely throughout the Indian subcontinent, albeit based on the astrological event of the sun beginning its northward journey.


As this will be our last time of being together, our group headed to Nang Rham beach, a 30-minute drive from our hotel. I never thought this was a big celebration, people flocked in the beach and it was difficult to find a decent parking area, good for me I didn’t drive. LOL!

The occasion is reminiscent to Araw ng San Juan (John the Baptist’s Day) wherein people on the street splashed pails of water to the others, including colored-water ones. If only the cars can complain.

A photo addict that I am, I wasted no time in taking photos of anyone, anything. Sure, its not really about taking excellent shots its about capturing the place and events how you want to remember after leaving Thailand.

Here are some shots straight from my camera.



The warmth of the sun and the lullaby of the waves were enough to keep us relaxed. And of course, we didn’t forget to eat. A lot! Too bad though that the next day, three of my friends ended up dehydrated and stayed in the hospital for a day. Must be food poising. What’s to blame? Hmm, green shells? Shrimps? I don’t know.

All in all it was a great experience. A tradition that I will surely relive in my next destination (wait, do I really know where I am going?).

Sawadde Krub Thailand!

/totomai
04/18/08

12 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic close-up of a cultural celebration.

    Wonderful!

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose it must not have been very difficult to survive and emerge triumphant in a place which celebrates in such a great style ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting and informative piece. A love these cultural aspects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the joys of blogging is the way in which we visit other places and experience different cultures from the comfort of our armchairs. This was a really interesting post for which I thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I do not fly I have to say I enjoyed this and your pictures help with the visualization great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely post,, and your photos really made it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totomai,

    These are moments that would surely be in your thoughts and heart ~ good for you that you captured them in lovely shots. You have tangible items to remind you of them, of the beautiful moments. It is yours forever.

    Enjoy your stay and embrace whatever that lies ahead.

    I wish you well.

    ~ Jeques

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - thank you for expanding my awareness. Every day there is something new to learn and experience fresh -- and yo brought both to me... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the place is great tlg but beware of the food lng (especially seafood), huhu :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. @mata, hehe ayaw mo nun? na ospital ka sa thailand. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brave of you to take photo's at songkhran. Must have been a waterproof camera.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Stan, i have been very careful as my camera is not waterproof hehe

    ReplyDelete

any thoughts to distill?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...