blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Yokohama

Last week, I and my friends went for a walk around Yokohama area. It was just an out-of-nowhere plan but it turned out to be a rewarding experience, after all, it's been a while since we last saw each other. What was intended to be a photo walk became a never-ending eat-a-t(h)on.

We always meet around Tokyo and Chiba so we decided to go to Yokohama this time. Yokohama was my first home in Japan way back 2003 until 2005. Despite living in Chiba since 2005-2006, 2008 up to the present, there is something about Yokohama that's very special. Maybe I am just biased since my life in Japan started there.

Instead of showing the architectures, or other tourist spots in Yokohama, for this entry, I decided not to go with usual. Last Sunday made me realized, and I am declaring it now that Yokohama, is the City of Love in Japan.

yokohama

two souls meet on earth
respecting destiny's wish
two one-winged angels

Lots of couples are sharing sweet moments together at Yamashita Park. And while I was checking all the photos I took, I was surprised to see lots of couple shots.Must be my shutter's fault. Ah, they didn't really care about the scorching temperature.

summer

I have been saying to my friends that I wanted to abuse my cameras since months had passed without using them. Last Sunday, I was on a paparazzo mode. You just don't know how much I like taking candid shots / moments than posed or staged ones. Candid shots are more real, more natural. Photographs aren't lying about it either.

elope

At some point I feel that I am invading their privacy. In order to be not much guilty about it, I just shoot from behind. Actually, from behind shots is one of my favorite photography subject. One of my friends told me if I approached any of my subjects and tell them that I took their photos. I could have send the photos to them in return, she further said. It was a good idea, I thought. I will try it next time, once I got the strength to talk to strangers.

devotion

Last Sunday experience reminded of the photo above which I took last 2006. And its significance? Probably someone had already declared Yokohama to be the City of Love. Or not. Yet.

/totomai
07/09/11

44 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to go to Japan for ages, and Yokohoma is definitely one of the places I'm intending to visit. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should go to Japan :-) you will surely enjoy it. Thanks for the visit

    ReplyDelete
  3. mai, its a good concept for a short film. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salamat kiks. i think i'll try short fims then via iphone4 haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. fave mo pala ang yokohama winnie e bakit anjan ka sa ali all lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love candid shots too John, for the reason you mentioned, somehow I am not comfortable with staging emotions like in poised shots, also, I am too shy to ask to do this or do that, my poor people skills, haha. love your shots, as always.

    PS.....I deleted my old account in Facebook because I was so distracted and was facing failing my graduation requirements, so for 2 months I focused on my studies, now, I am back to Facebook. Add me, you know my email add, right? or if I find you, I will add you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi ms beth, same here i'm really poor when it comes to giving instructions. thanks!

    see you in the US soon? for a road trip haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two one winged angels... this is beautifull well said.. I invite you to my 300th on OSI.. thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ramesh and Congrats on your 300th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice pics totomai. i missed visiting yokohama while i was there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pictures that say something more than love between couples. It speaks of tenderness of life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pics and I love the poem, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this was a wonderful Sunday morning read for me. So many lovely relationships. And the poem? Ideal!

    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/07/09/human/

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Kit, go back to Japan again and visit Yokohama

    @Harshad, indeed. thanks!

    @twitches, thanks :-)

    @Kim, amazing isn't it? so many one-winged angels :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your photos of the city of love. So very sweet! Your poem is perfect for the ocassion. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks WG! hope a nice week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  17. City of love indeed...syempre, jan na-inlove c totomaipogi, hehehe...mwah!! :D - ai

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hehe ganda sana makarating din kami dyan.. Libre mo kami pamashe mai hehe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two one winged angels
    You have a gift for distilling essence. This filled my heart.
    I too am famous for “stealth” shots. Wish I could find a way to give back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Ai, no comment haha. past is past lol

    @Lav, sagot ko ang food at bahay :-)

    @Gabrielle, i'll share once i tried approaching any of my subjects

    ReplyDelete
  21. interesting beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautifully done. That is indeed a city of love, declared or not!

    ReplyDelete
  23. the way you express yourself in your art.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Sandy, thanks!

    @kuya rad. salamat although di siyado gets haha

    ReplyDelete
  25. I guess Cupid take aim at them. Anyway nice capture thank for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! This is amazing, I've been to Yokohama once in 2007. I wished I'd seen more of it. -Aubrey, http://restorrun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Raja. i was cupid's assistant. lol

    @Aubrey, you can come back again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can feel the love thru your beautiful photos and lovely haiku

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photos are fabulous. So wonderful to see these snapshots of Japan. Welcome to Haiku My Heart. So good to see you here. A beautiful and refreshing blog!
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  30. welcome to haiku my heart. i am captivated by the love that exudes here, in your words and your lovely photographs. so glad to meet you and look forward to your return.
    warmly,
    rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Deb, thanks :-)

    @Noelle, thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.

    @Rebecca, I will :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your photos are so beautiful, there's a lot of tenderness in it. I love the shots from behind, they leave room for thoughts and interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful blog; enchanting photos, wonderful words. Thank you for your thoughtful work.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Totomai~ I love your romantic haiku, with the image of the lovers in a field of clover and the ocean liner waiting... Reminded me of "Hope springs eternal in the human breast," thinking of new love in the face of disaster. I see that Yokohama is to the south of Tokyo and not too damaged? I've worn the scent of Japanese Cherry Blossoms since March... and was so happy to at least be apple to contribute to a Shelter Box (for Sendai, probably?) All my love and prayers for your country and for new beginnings...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Arigatou Yamato-san

    Thanks for your thoughful words, Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  36. Somehow Yokohama is special for most of us Japanese living in Kanto area, too. Maybe it's because of it is a port city which opens to the outer world. Yokohama is always unique, sophisticated, exotic, romantic, not entirely Japanese and gentle even to the alienated (in many ways) people. I think you've shown some of those aspects of Yokohama people seldom try to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. arigatou! I really liked yokohama. maybe i should make a photobook about couples in Yokohama :=)

      Delete
  37. A very interesting blog. Nice photos :-)

    ReplyDelete

any thoughts to distill?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...